Cristiano Ronaldo set to start after derby snob as Red Devils travel to Cyprus for Europa League clash – UK kick-off time, team news, how to follow
Manchester United will be looking for an instant response to their Manchester derby defeat in their Europa League clash against Omonia Nicosia.
The Red Devils suffered a humiliating 6-3 loss to rivals Man City, who saw their recent winning streak come to an emphatic end.
Erik ten Hag’s side now travel to Cyprus to resume their European commitments, sitting second in the Group E table.
United have just one win from their first two games but Omonia remain at their lowest without a single point.
Omonia Nicosia v Manchester United: talkSPORT coverage
This Champions League clash will take place on Wednesday October 6th.
Kick-off at Tsirion Athlitiko Kentro Stadium in Limassol is scheduled for 5:45 p.m.
talkSPORT 2 will have live coverage of the match, with commentary from Alex Crook and former England striker Dean Ashton.
To tune into talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen through the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Silkeborg 2-3 West Ham LIVE REACTION: Dawson says Irons ‘sloppy but got the job done’
Rangers defender will claim England’s European goalscoring record that Kane and Rooney couldn’t
Police use water cannons to stop German hooligans from attacking West Ham fans
West Ham fan Danny Dyer makes hilarious ‘Bowen is on fire’ joke referencing his daughter
Ugly scenes in Seville as West Ham and Eintracht Frankfurt fans clash in the streets
West Ham won’t appeal UEFA ban after 150 ticketless fans ‘stormed Genk turnstiles’
Omonia Nicosia v Manchester United: Team News
Cristiano Ronaldo has started both of United’s Europa League games so far and is set to lead the line here again.
The 37-year-old was an unused substitute in the Etihad thrashing and will want to make a statement against the Cypriot side.
Ten Hag will be sweating the fitness of defensive duo Raphael Varane and Harry Maguire, the former picking up an injury on Sunday.
The likes of Martin Dubravka, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Donny van de Beek are all doubts, but Anthony Martial could potentially develop his fitness with some vital minutes here.
Omonia Nicosia v Manchester United: What was said?
Graeme Souness has agreed with Roy Keane that Ten Hag’s decision not to play Ronaldo in the Manchester derby was ‘disrespectful’.
Souness told talkSPORT Breakfast: “He’s the best player in the world alongside Lionel Messi – he still has something to offer.”
“So the lack of respect that Manchester United are showing him now, I don’t see the point of taking the aggravation they’ve made by having him stay for not using him.
“It’s disrespectful not to use it. I don’t buy this [Ten Hag’s explanation]I think you are showing more disrespect by not using it.
“Ronaldo has an argument for saying, ‘I was the best player ever’ – he can sit down with any group of players in the history of the game if they were still alive and argue this,” the expert said.
Omonia Nicosia v Manchester United: Match Facts
- Bruno Felipe has been involved in 64% of Omonia Nicosia’s 11 shots in the UEFA Europa League this season (4 shots, 3 chances created), the highest ratio of any player in the competition this season.
- Manchester United have won five of their last six away matches in the UEFA Europa League, apart from a 3-2 defeat at Roma in the 2020-21 semi-finals.
- Excluding qualifying, Omonia Nicosia have won just one of their last 26 matches in major European competition (D6 L19), earning a 2-1 win at home to PAOK Salonika in the 2020-21 UEFA Europa League.
- This will be Manchester United’s first European clash with a Cyprus side. The only previous English Premier League team to face a Cypriot club in the UEFA Europa League was Everton in 2017-18 (against Apollon Limassol).
- Manchester United will be the third English Premier League side to face Omonia Nicosia in major UEFA competition, following Arsenal in the 1994-95 Cup Winners’ Cup and Manchester City in the 2008-09 UEFA Cup. The Cypriot team lost all four matches.
OFFER OF THE DAY
NEW CUSTOMER OFFER
Save that hat-trick with Betway and get your money back (up to £30) if they lose – CLAIM HERE
- PSG beat Benfica
- Chelsea beat AC Milan
- Dortmund beat Sevilla
A £30 bet at 6/1 wins £210 or get your money back as a free bet!
Terms & Conditions: New UK customers only. Minimum deposit: £5. Maximum free bet: £30. First bet on a football or horse racing multiple with more than 3 selections. Overall rating: 3.00 (2/1) or better. Free bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. Debit card deposits only. Restrictions on deposit methods apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from the registration of your new account. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet responsibly. Full terms apply.